Sunday 11 May 2008

Wrestling God

I (Nathan) have always been drawn to the story of Jacob wrestling the Angel of the Lord (Gen 32). He wrestles God. Who in his right mind wrestles GOD? But this is what Jacob does, there at the Jabbok River, there in the most anxious moment of his life, his estranged brother Esau probably about to kill him the next day and steal all his property. Jacob doesn't wrestle with his thoughts or his worries - he wrestles the Almighty.

There is something potentially sacrilegious in all of this. It would be easy for us to hear this passage and assume that the spiritual life is one of manipulation, cold and conniving interaction with God that effectively twists His heavenly arm until He forks over the goods. Just as easily we could imagine this passage baptizes the practice of religious litigation. As if pouting at God and hating Him made sense, as if any one of us could bring a law suit against God, take the money and run. More than once I've heard people say, "It's okay to be angry at God." There's something almost right about that sentiment, except it seems to leave the door open for the kind of seething and scorching demeanor totally unbefitting to the Christian life. Still, could it be that God invites us into the life of passionate engagement with Him?

With day breaking, the Angel disclocates Jacob's hip and tells him to let go. But Jacob won't: "Not until you bless me." Jacob has good reason to think God is in the business of blessing. Had God not given him many children, much cattle, and (by any standard of the Levant) the good life? Certainly God isn't going to change His mind at this point! It seems incredible that we, who have the promises of God in full - the new heavens and the new earth - don't do the same. This One has pledged His faithfulness to us in Jesus Christ, meaning however we grapple with Him, whether singing or shouting or calmly reasoning or swearing or crying, we mean to engage Him on His own invitation. "God, You said..." should be a stock phrase of ours, just like the psalmists': Remember me, O Lord, when you show favor to your people (Psa 106:4)! Will You forget me forever (Psa 13:1)? Confirm your promise to your servant (Psa 119:38)! These cries are not the cries of whiners and prosecutors. These are the prayers of those who wrestle God.

Engage Him. Only the cold shoulder, only the practical atheism we all sometimes practice, is truly repugnant. Marriages and friendships can survive seasons of intensity and contention; they cannot survive apathy. For all its uniqueness, our relationship with God has the same component. Is this not the real reason we are told to "pray without ceasing" (1 Ths 5:17)? Not because we are good or eloquent or even goodspirited pray-ers, but because the God of Jesus Christ has hemmed us in on every side. He - He! - has hemmed us in, not guilt or credit card debt or ADHD or family strife or terminal cancer. Israel-like, we wrestle with the Living God, because only He is before us and only He has the blessing.

5 comments:

compound4life said...

I also love the stories of Jacob, possibly my favorite Bible character along with Job.

One of the reasons I love Jacob is because despite all his efforts to be unworthy, God chose him....Jacob have I loved, Esau have I hated......I so often feel like Jacob. Arrogant, sneaky and bad. Not only did Jacob steal from his brother, twice,....he put conditions on his relationship with God even before wrestling with God. When he was leaving on his trip he had his dream at Bethel then he made his vow, basically saying.....God if you protect me and take care of me You can be my God, but if not then forget it.

So bold and arrogant.....Sometimes i feel like Jacob becasue I can be arrogant and do things, and have done things, I shouldnt or ask for so much knowing deep down that it is..... Micah have i loved.....or chosen.

I also love the Bob Dylan song "I believe in you". Here are some of the Lyrics......

Don't let me drift too far,
Keep me where you are
Where I will always be renewed......

Don't let me change my heart,
Keep me set apart
From all the plans they do pursue.
And I, I don't mind the pain
Don't mind the driving rain
I know I will sustain
'Cause I believe in you.

I like how Dylan places the responsability of his salvation on God, not on himself....Which I have prayed before praying "do whatever it takes to save me", placing the job of it all on God.

maybee that is why I like Jacob....he kind of did the same thing when he made his vow, and Jacob was never afraid to ask for more.

anyways....these thoughts just crossed my mind when i read your comments....I hope they make some sense.

Ann said...

Just last week, I completed a study on Genesis. In that story, I was pondering at what point in the night did Jacob realize who he was tangled with? Also, WHY did God choose such a way to communicate with a patriarch? Was it an object lesson for us?

The Hitchcocks said...

These are good observations and questions. What comes to mind immediately is how much Jacob takes up the wrestling theme throughout his life. He grasps the heel of Esau literally and figuratively. He wrests the firstborn's blessing from his father. He out-manipulates Laban and achieves far more wealth. The whole time he thinks he's able to do all of this because of his superiority to others, even to God. Jacob does all this wrestling in a quiet, behind-the-scenes manner. And God calls him on it. He won't let Jacob pull those slimey move on Him. He has to engage God directly.

Is there something significant to the fact that arrogant Jacob, even in his apparent victory with the Angel, still has to say, "I won't let you go until YOU bless me?" Is there an admission of helplessness in his victory demand?

Nathan

Anonymous said...

Hi, Im from Melbourne Australia.

It is impossible to "wrestle" with Real God, The Indivisible Conscious Light that IS Reality.

All wrestlings are just the never-ending exercises of the usual yes/no/maybe doubt mind of our normal dreadful sanity.

And of one's refusal to be a living sacrifice.

1. www.realgod.org
2. www.dabase.org/rgcbpobk.htm
3. www.dabase.org/2armP1.htm#ch1
4. www.dabase.org/christmc2.htm
5. www.dabase.org/dualsens.htm
6. http://global.adidam.org/books/hridaya-rosary.html

Eden said...

Reminded me of something Eli Weisel said or wrote once. I saw it on the wall of his childhood house, now a museum: "The opposite of love is not hate; it is indifference." Echoing many before him, of course.