Wednesday 21 May 2008

Prince Caspian


Two nights ago Nathan and I saw Prince Caspian. I've been looking forward to seeing it because I genuinely enjoyed the movie version of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Sadly, I cannot say the same thing about Prince Caspian.

My first complaint is the same one I have of so many movies that are based on beloved books. The book is beloved for a reason! Why movie producers think it's prudent to change the plot so much as to make it almost unrecognizable is beyond me. This is exactly what has happened with Prince Caspian. Apparently the book is much too slow and boring, so to jazz it up a little, the movie adds battle scene after battle scene. The movie also adds in a little romance which, again, is nowhere to be found in the book. As a result of all the new battles, there is zero time for character or plot development. I'm pretty sure the movie doesn't even make sense. I found myself filling in the blanks and gaps from my knowledge of the book, but without that, the movie is very hard to follow because it wanders from one battle to the next without any clear direction except the constant need for action. In addition to the action and romance, the movie has also added a chip the size of Toledo onto Peter's shoulder. Why? I have no idea. But Peter is riddled with teenage insecurity and drama, all of which is apparently exacerbated by the fact that he "once was a grown up" and now everyone just treats him like a kid. Jerks.

However, my biggest complaint involves the treatment of Aslan. In the book, Aslan shows himself first only to Lucy, and she is called to follow him during a time when the children and Trumpkin are lost. Lucy makes a valiant effort to convince the others, but only Edmund believes her, so in the end Lucy goes with the others instead of following Aslan. Later, Aslan rebukes her for this and tells her she should have followed him even if no one else had. In the movie, Lucy also sees Aslan when no one else does, but the movie fails to indicate the call to obedience that is involved in her sighting of him. The movie therefore also fails to indicate her lack of obedience, and the lack of faith in the others. Instead, Lucy is treated as having some kind of special access to Aslan, and so when several battles have gone badly and things are looking grim, she is sent out into the woods to see if she can see him again and get him to help them. This seems to be the exact opposite of the what Lewis is intending from the Aslan/Lucy relationship. In the book, Aslan gives her sight of himself as both gift and call. Lucy must respond to him. In the movie, Lucy's sighting of Aslan is a sign of her special status, and leads the others to assume that she can find and call Aslan when needed. And, in fact, that's exactly what happens. In the movie, Aslan responds to her. This, in my opinion, is a serious misreading of the story. Aslan's presence is always seen as gift and calling in the books (see, for example, in The Silver Chair, when Jill says she and Eustace asked to come to Narnia, but Aslan corrects her by saying they only asked because he had already called them). The characters in the Narnia stories circle around Aslan; he does not circle around them. They either see his gift and respond to his call, or they don't. But he does not come and go at their beck and call. The movie essentially treats Aslan as a powerful weapon which Lucy can (usually) wield. Just as Susan is a regular Legolas with her bow and arrow, and Peter and Edmund are real aces with their swords, so Lucy always comes through in a pinch with her lion. I don't think Mr. Lewis would approve. I certainly do not.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I need to see the movie again because now I'm not sure whether what I remember from the film is actually there or whether I've made it up.

I definitely see your points about Aslan, although I thought the movie did include the discussion between Lucy and Aslan about how her sight of him was a call to obey him. Did I just imagine that? But I do think there's an element in the movie that suggests Aslan is a weapon to be used at will. I'd have to rewatch it to determine all my thoughts on that. Very interesting.

I honestly think the plot of the film holds up fine (I don't think there are any significant gaps of logic or narrative)--always acknowledging it's quite different from the book's. I'm still not convinced there's any way to accurately capture the loose, bizarre narrative of Prince Caspian onto film in a way that would at all work with a modern audience. I'm willing to be persuaded that I'm wrong, but I just can't see it.

What did you think of the movie's portrayal of Telmarine politics?

Asha BG said...

Hey thank you so much for the review. I have seen the lion, the witch and the wardrobe. I have been waiting Prince Caspian ever since.
I think Ben Barnes is really hot.
He looks just awesome.
I am really wanting to see the movie.
I will be catching it this weekend.
Can't wait...

The Hitchcocks said...

Hi Susannah,

You're right, there's a short discussion between Aslan and Lucy about what she should have done, but that was one of my questions of plot. Looking back to when she saw him, I got no indication from the movie that she was supposed to follow him. I knew she was, but I think I knew that from the book, not the movie. As you say, it's kind of fuzzy which is which, when you've got both in your mind at the same time.

One of the plot things that I didn't get was why Caspian was so into Narnian rights and freedom. The book talks about how his tutor (Dr. Cornelius, right?) instills a sense of justice and love for Narnia in him, but the movie doesn't touch on that at all, so I wasn't sure from the movie why Caspian was so rigorously pursuing Narnian interests. It would have made more sense, from his character and the Telmarine politics, for him simply to be using the Narnians to secure his throne. Anyway, that was one of the things that didn't make a lot of sense to me.

That said, I think you're very right about the difficulty of telling the story in the same way it's told in the book. That would be a challenge for any movie-maker.

I'm not sure what I thought of the Telmarine politics -- haven't given it much thought yet. I'll have to ruminate on it awhile. What did you think?

Christina
P.S. Did you look at that site I sent you by e-mail a couple of days ago? Very funny!

Anonymous said...

haven't seen Prince Caspian yet but definitely looking forward to it... i'll have to look over the book one more time just to remind myself how the original story goes

Anonymous said...

Ok, I was trying to make sure I reread the book before the movie came out, but didn't make it. Now I'll have to go back and read it and see what I think. From the reviews I thought maybe the battle scences would get long and drawn out, but I have to admit it kept my attention at least the whole time!! I was pretty sure the romance part was an addition they added. After the movie we asked the kids what their favorite part was and Jenna (5 now) immediately said wistfully, "The part where Susan and Prince Caspian loved each other!" Oh my, what do we have to look forward too! I'll have to make sure my rereading is with them!! -- Kara

Meliss said...

I was thinking of taking my older three kids to see the movie, but after all that I've heard about it, I don't think that I even want to spend the money on it. Maybe video.