Monday 24 March 2008

And the Winner is . . .


Our good friend Susannah! After several hints, Susannah correctly guessed the movie: Nell, starring Jodie Foster. Nell is a backwoods woman raised entirely alone except for her mother and twin sister. Her mother had a stroke and therefore speaks slurred English, and Nell and her sister developed some kind of twin-speak. As a result, Nell speaks a very odd version of English. One of her signature lines in the movie is "Tay in the win'!" (tree in the wind), which she says as she sways back and forth with her hands in the air.

For you Genevans out there, I (Christina) went to see this movie with a bunch of friends, including Brian Kelly. I just remember that for the rest of semester, whenever I'd see Brian across campus, he'd drop his books, wave his arms in the air, and wail at the top of his lungs, "Tay in the win'! Tay in the win'!" Very funny.

Nathan and I saw the movie a couple of years ago, and for the next several months Nathan would spontaneously wave his arms in the air and yell, "Tay in the win'!" It's still funny after all these years.

(By the way, the picture at the top is of Nell, not Susannah!)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I win!

I love how you clarify that it was after several hints that I finally figured it out. I'm not sure why I didn't think of it earlier. I remember a long conversation about the line and how it became a running joke.

The Hitchcocks said...

You win! Did you see that some anonymous person also said Nell, but only about 3 hours after you did. Funny.

Yeah, sorry about the implications there with mentioning the hints. Not very thoughtful of me! :-)

Are you enjoying no teaching? Do you manage to fill up your office hours with other stuff?

micah said...

i never saw that, and hardly even remember it being a movie......good thing i was guessing so hard.

Anonymous said...

Remarkably, I have more than enough to do to fill up office hours, but it's nice to work without the pressure of a class. The term is going to go by really quickly!

Now poor Leila is having problems. I'll email you about it.

Anonymous said...

Well, congratulations to Susannah, but I think I deserve some sort of prize for having sat through Legends with you! :) Okay, maybe not.
Didn't you also see Rob Roy with Brian? And there was *that one scene* which was so uncomfortable?! Ha. Kind of like my seeing Pretty Woman with Nate Hartman. :)

The Hitchcocks said...

Yeah, I did see Rob Roy with Brian. I hadn't thought about that in awhile. I remember the movie theater had a deal where if you ate a large bucket of popcorn before the movie ended, you could get a second large for free. Brian bought a large and basically ate the whole thing himself as fast as he could, and went back for a second, of which I think we ate a total of 6 kernals.

Yes, that scene was a LITTLE bit awkward!

Ann said...

BK!!

Flame Lilly said...

Oh, I would NEVER have gotten that!! Good one!! You should post more movie scene quizzes...that was fun!!

David Garber said...

That's so funny because Jessica and I also do that "tay in the win" thing...

-David