Thursday 14 February 2008

Wings of Hay and Corn Husks

As I was strolling around you.tube this afternoon I came across this video, which is of a song called "Lawrence, KS" by one of my favorite singer/songwriters, Josh Ritter.




This song has many layers for me, since I grew up in Lawrence, KS. How clearly I remember the house on Mississippi Street, the Pinkney School tunnel, the tennis courts up near KU stadium, walking around the block with my dog. When I visit Lawrence now I find it much changed, or at least so it appears to my adult eyes. And much of it seems for the worse. It seems more broken, more despairing, more centered on things that are fading away. But even so, it must not be left behind. Walking the streets of my childhood, I hope for resurrection at every corner.

1 comment:

Eden said...

Z is the cutest.

Thanks for your comment. I didn't know that heaven's a big interest of yours. I'm laughing because it seems like it should be a big interest of everyone's! If we ever get around to having another family reunion, I'd love to talk to you guys more about it.

Also feeling February blues here in New England.