Saturday 15 December 2007

Eating, eating, eating . . . at the pocketbook


For those of you griping at the cost of fuel these days, let us sober you with the kinds of prices you'd also be paying for food if you lived in the UK. We've made a list of the more eggregious examples by way of price comparison with the US, translated into USD.


2 pieces corn on the cob (US) = $.89

2 pieces corn on the cob (UK) = $3.10


12 large eggs (US) = $.95

12 large eggs (UK) = $4.18


Chicken breasts, per pound (US) = $3.49

Chicken breasts, per pound (UK) = $5.20


Deluxe chips, 10 oz. (US) = $2.99

Deluxe chips, 5oz x 2 (UK) = $6.40


Grated parmesan, 6 oz (US) = $2.99

Grated parmesan, 2 oz x 3 (UK) = $9.35


Ben and Jerry's pint (US) = $4.00

Ben and Jerry's pint (UK) = $8.99


Hershey's chocolate chips, 9 oz. (US) = $2.29

Premium chocolate chips, 3 oz. x 3 (UK) = $18.00


Kid you not. Of course, we also get access to cheap haggis and blood pudding, so that makes up for it, right?

6 comments:

Katie said...

I remember when I was in England my parents told me never to calculate the amount of money I was spending on food. They feared if I calculated it, I wouldn't eat.

Dianna said...

Katie, I thought the same thing. By the end of the semester, I just had to forget how much I was spending and that when I went and bought a Coke at the sandwich shop, I was really spending nearly $5.

I remember those prices, Dr. Hitchcock, and I feel your pain. It's too bad the continent's not much better.

micah said...

so how much is a bowl of blood pudding?

or a haggis hot dog?......

what is haggis anyways.......

sounds like what they put in hot dogs, maybee if they called it something other than haggis or blood pudding people would eat more of it....the word haggis makes me think of animal brains and intestines.....

Flame Lilly said...

At least the haggis is affordable!!haha!
Although, you couldn't pay ME to eat it!!
Good Luck!

Ann said...

How much is gruel?

FridayNight said...

Haggis is a concoction of sheep guts and oats, often heavily spiced. Blood pudding (usually called "black pudding") is coagulated blood set in sausage form, then sliced like Jimmy Dean patties. I've had the former twice, and found it palatable; the latter I tried once and found it rubbery.

For those of you overly concerned for our financial and dietary welfare, we have found a good range of vegetables and cheeses priced reasonably (and quite delicious). We also have an African store nearby where we purchase five-kilo bags of rice and kilo-sized bags of beans. And plantains, sweet potatoes and foufou aside. You haven't lived until you've had foufou, as my old friend Kunle used to say.